COVID is currently making people sick.
We want to help people stay healthy and avoid getting sick. We want to make sure that if they do get sick they can get good medical care.
It is changing the way we live at the moment. We want to help people understand the government’s rules.
What we are doing
On this page you can find
- Easy Read information for people with intellectual disability
- Our advocacy work to ensure people with intellectual disability have fair access to health care
- Video and audio about staying well and safe during lockdown or isolation
- Useful links to more information and support
Our COVID videos
COVID Vaccination Stories
Five people with intellectual disability share their experiences of getting the COVID vaccine injection.
There is lots of information about COVID that is not true.
These are called myths. In this video we bust some of these myths.
In this video, Ricky talks with Dr Rita about the COVID vaccine.
She answers the questions that he, and many of you, have.
Look after your mental health
Are you scared or upset about COVID?
You need to look after your mental health.
Leigh has some great tips for you.
Stay active while at home
Find out what Ella, Alex and Ben are doing to stay active during the pandemic.
What do you like to do to stay active?
Bike riding, going for walks, working out?
How do you stay happy at home?
Leigh, Ella and Alex tell us what they do stay happy at home during lock down.
Leigh likes to entertain family and friends.
Ella likes to do positive thinking.
Alex finds new music to listen to.
Stay busy at home
People with disability talk about how they are keeping busy at home.
Hear what Ella, Alex, Ben and Jack are doing to stay busy.
Our Easy Read information about COVID
What you can do if you are fully vaccinated
Easy Read information for people with intellectual disability about the Roadmap out of lockdown and what vaccinated people can currently do.
COVID vaccination for intellectual disability NSW
This is an Easy Read guide about getting the COVID vaccination.
What is happening in my home
This info guide is for people living in group homes that are locked down because of a COVID outbreak.
It talks about some of the things that might be happening in your home.
Supporting people in group homes with a COVID outbreak
This is an info guide for staff in group homes that are locked down because of a COVID outbreak.
It is to be used with the “What is happening in my home” Easy Read guide above.
Looking after your health in lockdown
This health guide is for people living in group homes that are locked down because of a COVID outbreak.
It tells you how you can look after your health.
Look after your mental health during COVID
Many people are worried about COVID.
If you feel like this you need to look after your mental health.
Staying at home during COVID
We are spending lots more time at home.
Here is Easy Read info about how to stay happy and health at home.
Looking after your health during COVID
This Easy Read guide is about things you can do to stay healthy.
It says what other people need to do to keep you healthy.
Other information resources
There are lots of great easy to read resources around. We really like these ones.
- COVID information for people with disability, a series of videos we made with NSW Health.
- Human rights in health and disability care during COVID, an Easy Read guide we made for the Australian Human Rights Commission.
- Healthcare rights for people with cognitive impairment, by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.
- COVID Guided Self-help, a series of guided self-help booklets developed to support people with mild to moderate learning and intellectual disabilities, from the Scottish Commission for Learning Disability (UK)
- Coping with COVID, free picture stories and illustrated guides to support people with learning disabilities and autism through the COVID pandemic, from Beyond Words (UK)
Our advocacy work
We want to make sure that if people with intellectual disability get sick, they can get good medical care.
Read about our advocacy work
Getting the voice of people with intellectual disability heard during the pandemic
What do people with intellectual disability think of the Government's COVID-19 plan?
Coronavirus and the health of people with disability – the government acts
We're helping the government plan for the health needs of people with disability during Coronavirus.
Working in retail
Justine interviews our Board Member Fiona McKenzie about what it has been like working at a supermarket during the Coronavirus COVID pandemic.
Working from home
Justine interviews our Project Worker Jack Kelly about what it’s like working from home during the Coronavirus COVID pandemic.
The information and resources in this pare are prepared using funding from Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) and the Department of Social Services (DSS).