COVID testing and isolating rules

12 January 2022
  • This guide tells you what to do

    • If you tested positive to COVID
    • If you are a close contact and you start to feel sick
    • If you are a close contact but you are not feeling sick

    It also says what to do if you are a casual contact.

  • It is important you go to hospital if you

    • Are dizzy
    • Have trouble breathing
    • Have chest pains
  • If you have COVID

    You can do a test yourself to find out if you have COVID.

    This is called a rapid antigen test.

    Rapid antigen tests are also called RAT tests.

    You can also be told by a testing centre that you have had a positive COVID test.

    When you are positive for COVID you must isolate at home for 7 days.

  • Isolate means you must stay at home.

    Do not go to

    • work or school
    • places like shops. Get groceries delivered to your home.
    • travel on public transport or taxis

    You cannot visit friends.

    Friends cannot visit you.

  • You can let people into your house for important medical or personal care.

    If you have an appointment you cannot miss like a visit to

    • a doctor
    • family violence service
    • police

    You must tell them that you have COVID.

  • How to isolate if you live with other people

    Stay in a separate room away from the other people.

  • If you cannot isolate in your own room you should

    • wear a mask when you walk through the house
    • try to stay away from rooms when other people are in them
    • wipe anything you touch
  • The people who usually live in your house can stay there if they cannot live somewhere else.

    If they stay they are close contacts and need to isolate too.

    If you live with a person who is elderly or has health issues ask the health department if they can help find them places to stay.

  • If you do not feel safe at home contact

    • the domestic violence crisis service on 1800 737 732
    • police on 000.
  • If you still have COVID symptoms after 7 days you must stay at home until they have gone.

    You should tell your work, service or school you have tested positive.

  • You can stop isolating if you do not have any symptoms after 7 days.

    You do not need another test.

  • What is a close contact

    You are a close contact if

    • You are living with someone who has COVID.
    • You spent 4 hours or more with someone who had COVID. This can be in a home or somewhere else you were close.


  • If you are a  close contact

    If you are a close contact of someone who has COVID you must stay home for 7 days after you last saw them.

    It does not matter if you have symptoms or not.

    Do a RAT test or PCR test and stay home until you get the test result.

    If you test positive for COVID you must isolate and follow the rules at the top of this guide.

    If you are negative from this test you still must stay at home.

  • On day 6 of isolation take a RAT test.

    If it is negative you do not have to isolate from the next day.

    If you test positive for COVID you must isolate and follow the rules at the top of this guide.

  • If you are a casual contact

    You are a casual contact if you have had less contact with someone with COVID.

    This could be in a

    • Shopping centre
    • At work
    • At a café or restaurant
  • You might be told you are a casual contact through the Service NSW app.

    If you start to have COVID symptoms do a RAT test.

    If you test positive for COVID you must isolate and follow the rules at the top of this guide.

  • The rules can change.

    For the latest rules go to the  NSW Government website or call the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080.

  • If you feel sick

    • Stay home
    • Call your GP or the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080.

    If it is an emergency call 000.

  • For more information call the Disability Gateway on 1800 643 787.

Share online