Meeting someone and dating can be a lot of fun.
There are many ways you can meet people.
There are also some things you need to think about.
Meeting new people to date
You can meet new people through friends and family.
You can ask friends and family to introduce you to other people.
Tell your friends about your interests and what you like and do not like.
They might know someone you will get along well with.
There are lots of other places you can meet people like:
- school or TAFE
- at your gym
- by using online dating sites
How to meet people online
You can find love and friendship online when you are a person with a disability.
It can be a little scary but it can also be fun.
You can meet other people online in a safe way.
Here are a few tips to help you
Choose a dating site
- that you know
- that someone you know told you is good and safe
CID has a podcast series about Relationships. There is one podcast where Ella talks about dating. She likes to use the app called MeetMe so that she can make friends. Sometimes these friends turn into dates.
There are a lot of dating sites and apps to choose from. Some of them are for everyone. Some of them are just for people with disability.
You can get dating apps for your computer or mobile phone.
Some dating sites and apps cost money. Make sure you know what you have to pay.
Making a profile
Before you start using the app you need to make a profile.
- the things you like to do
- interesting or fun things about you
- how you would talk about yourself
- what kind of person you want to meet.
You need a photo of yourself for your profile. Pick a photo you like.
You can ask someone you trust to help you.
Meeting people online
When you meet someone online you want to get to know them better. You can
- ask the person about things they like to do
- ask them about their hobbies
- talk about things that are important to you
- have fun and share some jokes or stories
When you meet someone online you need to think about being safe
- Do not give personal information like your phone number or address
- Do not give anyone your bank account information or credit card numbers
- Do not send money to anyone
If you feel unsafe or someone threatens you, tell someone you trust or the police.
When you meet in person
It is great if you want to meet up with someone who you met online.
When you meet up
- Make sure you feel like you can trust the person
- Meet somewhere busy. A café or restaurant is a good place to meet. Tell someone you trust where you are going and what your plans are
- When you meet for the first time do not get a ride from the person.
On your first date
- Listen to the person and reply to what they are saying
- Ask them questions
- Tell them about yourself
- Be yourself and have fun
- You do not have to stay if you do not want to. You can leave early. If you enjoyed the date you can contact the person to tell them you would like to see them again. You do not have to choose right away
- Talk to people you trust about the date and how you feel
Do not get too upset if things do not work out. This happens to everyone.
Meeting people online can be lots of fun. Good Luck!
There is lots of information online about dating and relationships.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/watch/1576116803866. This is a documentary showing the work of Liz Dore, from Relationships and Private Stuff:
* The views expressed in this article are not necessarily those of the Council for Intellectual Disability.