More than Just a Job offers three programs. More Than Just a Job for Me is one of these programs. It is for people with intellectual disability. It is a free training to help you plan your career goals.
Our More Than Just a Job team went to Broken Hill in June. They did a workshop about jobs with the students at Broken Hill school.
They had a great time and the people of Broken Hill were really friendly and welcoming.
In this article Ben talks about
- his experience in Broken Hill
- what the training is about
Ben is one of our project workers and part of the More Than Just a Job team.
- Students were very engaged and enjoyed having us there.
- Students liked hearing my perspective and how much I love my job. Hopefully this will give them the confidence to find a job they’ll love too!
- I enjoyed hearing some students know what they want to do and jobs they want to have after high school for example; midwifery, artist, builder, mechanic, writer, actor, animator and chef.
More Than Just a Job for Me is a training that focuses on
- giving students the confidence to come up with work goals and steps to reach those goals.
- giving them choices and strengths; helping them know themselves and what jobs they would be good at.
How do we do it?
- We use ME360 Cards to create discussion between students to reflect on their identities, who they are and what they want to do, their passions and interests.
- Setting goals and getting supports using The Power of Ten; who can support me and what comes next?
What the students got out of the visit from the More Than Just a Job team?
- Confidence to go after the job they want.
- To achieve each step toward their work goal
- Working together as a team to make a decision
- Understanding what makes my life good
Fun things the CID team did during the trip
Visited the school’s farm animals
Went to Palace Hotel, home of Pricilla Queen of the Desert!
Went to the Desert Sculpture Garden
Find out more about More Than Just a Job using the following link:
You can also email email@example.com or call 1800 424 065
Ben and the More than Just a Job team