How to improve the NDIS for people with intellectual disability – CID position statement
The NDIS has helped lots of people. But there have been problems with the NDIS which have been very frustrating and hurtful for people with intellectual disability. Here is how the NDIS can do better.
Maria*, who has complex needs, used to live in an ADHC group home.
When the NDIS came in, the group home changed to be run by a non-government organisation.
After the change, Maria experienced a lot of problems with staff changes, inadequate NDIS funding and poorly coordinated therapy services. Maria’s mother rang CID. We helped her understand her options for making a complaint and seeking a review of Maria’s inadequate NDIS plan.
The NDIS has created more choice and helped a lot of people. But there have been problems with the NDIS that have been very frustrating and hurtful for people like Maria.
Our Members frequently tell us that there is too much red tape, too many steps, too much paperwork and too many workers who don’t know what they are doing.
People with intellectual disability make up about 60 percent of NDIS participants. The scheme needs to improve how it reaches out to and meets the needs of such a substantial group of its participants.
Our position statement identifies how the NDIS can be improved for people with intellectual disability. We want:
- The NDIA to listen to what people with intellectual disability, their families, and disability advocates want from the NDIS.
- The NDIS to improve how it supports people with intellectual disability, including people with complex needs.
- The NDIS to reach out to people who live on the fringes of society.
- The NDIS and NSW Government to sort out who is responsible for what so people do not fall through the gaps.
For more about how we can improve the NDIS for people with intellectual disability and what CID has done to make this happen, read the full position statement, and Easy Read version.
Find out more
- Our position statement on the NDIS , including an Easy Read version
- Our position statement on health and Easy Read version.
- View all our advocacy resources.
* Not Maria’s real name.