NSW Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) rules
There are Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Sydney and Greater Sydney.
The NSW Government has rules you must follow.
You must stay home if you live in Greater Sydney Area.
Greater Sydney Area includes:
- All Sydney suburbs
- Central Coast
- Blue Mountains
You can only leave your home
- To shop for food
- To go to the doctor or hospital
- To go to the chemist
- To care for someone
- For exercise outdoors
- For education if you cannot study from home
If you must leave home try to stay in your local area.
You can go to work if
- the business is allowed to be open
- and you cannot do your job from home
Only some businesses are open.
These are places that provide essential products and services.
- petrol stations
- take away food
- hardware stores
Only 1 person from your home can shop each day.
Always have a mask with you.
You must wear a mask when you are
- Inside a shop or shopping centre
- Inside a bank or post office or an office
- In a shared area in an apartment building like the lift
- Waiting for take away
- On public transport or waiting for public transport
- At a hospital or nursing home
- Outside when you are near other people from outside your household
See more information on wearing masks
Some people do not have to wear masks
You do not have to wear a mask if you cannot wear a mask because of your
- physical condition
- mental health condition
If you cannot wear a mask for these reasons you must have with you
- a medical certificate
- a letter signed by a medical professional like a doctor
- a letter signed by an NDIS provider
- a statutory declaration
This is so you have proof that you cannot wear a mask.
If an official person asks you why you are not wearing a mask you must show them your letter or certificate.
When you leave home you need to social distance.
You must leave 2 big steps between you and other people.
You must stay in your Local Government Area or within 10kms of home for
- outdoor activities
- shopping for essential items
If you live alone you can nominate one person to visit you in your home.
It must be the same person each time.
If you live in the 8 Local Government Areas of
- Georges River
Your visitor has to be from the same area or live within 5kms.
If you don’t live in any of these areas you can’t have visitors from these 8 areas.
You can only exercise or go outdoors with 1 other person or people you live with.
You can only be in a car with people you live with.
You do not have to wear a mask.
You need to wear a mask if you catch a taxi or ride share.
Only 10 people can be at a funeral.
Fairfield, Liverpool, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Blacktown, Georges River, Parramatta and Campbelltown
There are special rules for people who live in 8 local government areas.
See our information for these areas.
The rest of NSW has different rules.
If you do not live in the Greater Sydney Area you must follow these rules.
Visit friends or family
You can still go to someone’s house. Only 5 people at a time can visit.
Only 2 people at a time can visit someone who lives in aged care.
You must wear your face mask when indoors.
- on public transport
- at indoor entertainment places like cinemas and theatres
- at hospitals and nursing homes
- at dance and gym classes
- at work
You must also wear a mask at outdoor organised meetings.
You are not allowed to
- stand up in a bar to drink
- sing at an indoor show or a place of worship like a church
- dance at a wedding with more than 20 people on the dance-floor
- dance at indoor pubs or nightclubs.
If you have been to the Greater Sydney Area from June 21:
- you must also stay home
- you need to stay home for 14 days from the date you left Greater Sydney
If you feel sick
- Stay home
- Call your GP or the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080.
If it is an emergency call 000.